Pages

Monday, March 22, 2010

Only the wax, ma'am.

I recently "candled" my ears, which means I stuck a long, hollow candle through a paper plate then put it in my ear and let it burn down to about 2 inches. I've always prided myself in ear cleanliness, so I was surprised to see that the candle was FULL of orange gunk when I was finished.

Upon further research I learned that the orange gunk doesn't actually come from the ear, but from the candle itself. My ears have about the same amount of clarity after this experiment (only so-so . . . too many ska concerts in high school).

What do you think about candling? The next best thing since Wet Willies or another weird hippie-dippie sham, like global warming?

4 comments:

  1. i've always wanted to do it but was never sure if it was safe or if it worked...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't use those things! Get an irrigation kit or go see an ENT. Candles have the potential to go awry. Take it from me, ears are my specialty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoaa i've never heard of this technique to, i assume, clean out your ears?? that would feel freaky to me. i don't like hot things near me.. and haha about the ska concerts. that was popular when i was in HS too :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this procedure on German TV, they made a test and the result was: It does not do anything to you, it's useless. So you can save your money next time :)

    ReplyDelete